African Union (AU) Recruitment For Senior Protocol Officer (PAP)
African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
African Union (AU) Recruitment For Senior Protocol Officer (PAP)
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Protocol Officer (PAP)
Requisition ID: 1436
Location: Midrand, South Africa
Reports to: Deputy Clerk – Finance Administration & Human Resources
Directorate / Department : Finance, Administration and Human Resources (FAHR)
Division: Protocol Services Unit
Number of Direct Reports: 1
Number of Indirect Reports: 1
Job Grade: P3
Number of Positions: 1
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- To support and implement strategies, policies and procedures relating to diplomatic privileges, courtesies and protocol-related services required by Pan-African Parliament operations within the AU system, in the host country and externally.
- Provides the necessary advice on protocol-related issues to the PAP in accordance with diplomatic norms, especially with regards to privileges and immunities from the relevant South African authorities on behalf of the Bureau and staff members;
- Maintains updated records of requirements of each embassy, travel advisories as well as changes in immigration policies and communicate same to the Bureau and PAP staff regularly;
- Co-ordinates requests for import/export permits for vehicles and other goods and personal effects for the Organization and its staff;
- Facilitates the issuance of administrative and legal documents on behalf of the Bureau and staff (resident IDs, Visas etc);
- Liaises with the relevant offices of the AUC, AUC specialized organizations and other partner institutions in organizing and servicing protocol requirements of the PAP meetings as appropriate.
- Supervises accreditation, laissez passer, work permits and related documents for the MPs and staff of PAP and their renewals when due.
- Prepares, on a regular basis, PAP diplomatic missions and related stakeholders lists and updates them with correct names, titles, full addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses.
- Facilitates separation procedures of staff from the services of the PAP;
- Maintains close working relationship with relevant authorities of the Host Country with a view to updating the PAP (Legal Unit) on the challenges faced in the practical implementation of some provisions of the Host Country Agreement;
- Facilitates the organisation of ceremonies and official functions (e.g. receptions, cocktails, luncheons and dinners)
- Ensures that airport protocol services are accorded the Bureau members, Members of Parliament, VIPs and staff members;
- Performs any other duties as may be directed by the Deputy Clerk – Finance, Administration & Human Resources.
- Carries out periodic review of the PAP Protocol Manual;
- Maintains updated records of requirements of each embassy, travel advisories as well as changes in immigration policies and communicates them to PAP staff regularly.
- Prepares information guidelines for dignitaries and executive visitors to PAP.
- Prepares and supervises the implementation of the Unit annual work plans and schedules;
- Prepares and updates profiles of all official visitors to the President and the Clerk and archive protocol related documents of historical value;
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A Master’s Degree or its equivalent in Communications, Diplomacy, Public Administration, Humanities or Social Sciences or related field, and seven (7) years of relevant work experience in the management of Protocol, External Relations or Communications with at least three (3) years at a supervisory level in an international organisation.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in the above-mentioned fields but with Ten (10) years of experience, at least three (3) at a supervisory level in an international organisation.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, a teamwork orientation and ability to interact harmoniously and effectively in a multi-cultural environment with colleagues from diverse disciplines, perspectives, countries and cultures.
- Ability to make objective decisions and resolve problems, exercising the highest sense of responsibility in the handling of confidential and sensitive issues in a reasonable and mature manner.
- Diplomatic skills and the ability to generate innovative, practical solutions to challenging situations, with tact and emotional maturity without losing composure.
- High ethical standards, integrity and a deep sense of fairness are competencies required of the incumbent.
- Strategic Insight
- Developing Others
- Change Management
- Managing Risk.
- Teamwork and Collaboration;
- Accountability awareness and Compliance;
- Learning Orientation
- Effective Communication.
- Analytical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Job Knowledge and information sharing..
- Drive for Results
- Continuous Improvement Focus.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
Tenure Of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 37,453.00 (P3 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (57% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 21,832.68 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply
Application Deadline 24th October, 2022.
How to get information in your Phone or Email for further updates
- Subscribe to us with your Email address for FREE to be updated on a daily basis
- LIKE our Facebook page
- FOLLOW our Twitter News Handle
- For questions as regards to anything, kindly Comment Below