Media & Communication Officer at the International Organization for Migration
Applications are invited from interested and qualified candidate for the Media & Communication Officer at the International Organization for Migration. See the necessary details you need for the recruitment exercise below
Media & Communication Officer at the International Organization for Migration
International Organization for Migration (IOM) is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental andnon-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for thebenefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Media & Communication Officer
CFCV No: VN 2023 279
Employment Type: Contract
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission and in coordination with the Programme Development Coordinator, Programme Support Officer, the Head of Sub-offices and in collaboration with the Regional Media and Communications Officer in RO Dakar and the Head of the Media and Communications Unit in Geneva, the successful candidate will be responsible for developing, managing, coordinating and ensuring the implementation of communications, public information (PI) and media-related activities and strategies to promote an accurate narrative on migration in the media, among the UN and other IOM key partners as well as the general public.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Develop and ensure the implementation of IOM Nigeria internal and external communications strategies, in line with the Organization’s guidelines and donor requirements, to promote an accurate narrative on displacement, migration, and other issues central to IOM with the media, public, donors, the UN and other key partners.
- Develop and manage the project visibility and communications plan in line with donor requirements, while liaising with donor communications focal points and providing them with regular advice, updates and information.
- Prepare relevant communications content produced by IOM Nigeria in a proactive manner, including stories, blogs, video and social media content and provide timely editorial advice and guidance on whether they are best suited for publication on national, regional or global IOM platforms, working with the relevant communications teams at each level.
- Prepare and/or contribute to the development of content for communications campaigns at a national, regional, and international level, including for relevant UN Days.
- Strengthen and maintain IOM Nigeria online presence, including through its social media accounts and website, to increase the impact of IOM Nigeria digital outreach.
- Establish and strengthen links with local, regional and international media to promote the work of IOM in Nigeria, in coordination with the RO and MCD/HQ.
- Prepare key messages, statements, talking points and other relevant background documents for IOM use.
- Manage the work of the graphic design team for the development of internal and external products, including donor updates, infographics and situation reports, ensuring high quality outputs that follow IOM brand guidelines.
- Engage with the UN Country Team Communication Group and other relevant actors and substantively participate in the development of media messages on key issues and collaboratively work on campaigns and issues of joint concern.
- Develop training materials, ensure the delivery of training to team members, other units and field teams and provide advice and assistance to field teams in media and communications matters to increase IOM Nigeria communications capacity.
- Lead field duty travel to ensure photographs and video footage are obtained, as well as material for multi-media content showcasing the humanitarian situation and work being undertaken by IOM in the field.
- Ensure that audio and visual media content being collected by IOM Nigeria includes appropriate informed consent and is captured and stored according to the organization’s digital library and data protection protocols, and take prompt action to address issues.
- Keep abreast of global migration-related developments and processes in the UN system, assess information on displacement, migration and humanitarian developments and emerging issues, and provide advice for the development of IOM related media position.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Minimum Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Journalism, Communications, Marketing, Development, International
- Relations, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University Degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in leading and managing the digital communications and social media activities for an organization.
- Proven experience in corporate writing and editing.
- Experience in managing donor visibility.
- Experience establishing and liaising with the media, preferably in the region.
- Experience in humanitarian communications; and
- Experience working in the region and/or in an emergency setting an advantage.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of migration issues, including the importance of
- promoting social cohesion and migrant inclusion.
- relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to prepare and present clear and concise technical reports in English in timely manner; and
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office tools like (word-processing, spreadsheet, database, e-mail).
- Excellent liaison and networking skills with government agencies, donor, and INGOs/NGOs;
- A high level of personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility, drive for results, respects for diversity, creative thinking.
- Ability to establish priorities and undertake assigned tasks with minimum supervision and maintain composure under pressure.
- Ability to manage workload within general schedule of work, instructions, and standard practices.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Please take note of the following
- IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations.
- Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
- No Fees: IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
- Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application Closing Date
The application closing date is 18th July, 2023.
How to get information in your Phone or Email for further updates
- Subscribe to us with your Email address for FREE to be updated on a daily basis
- LIKE our Facebook page
- FOLLOW our Twitter News Handle
- For questions as regards to anything, kindly Comment Below