World Health Organization (WHO) Recruitment of a Project Management Officer
Within the United Nations system, the World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating body for health. It is in charge of setting the global health research agenda, establishing norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy alternatives, providing technical assistance to countries, and monitoring and assessing health trends.
World Health Organization (WHO) Recruitment of a Project Management Officer
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Management Officer
Job ID: 2203335
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contractual Arrangement: Temporary appointment under Staff Rule 420.4
Contract Duration: (Years, Months, Days): 6 months
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
Objectives of the Programme
- The mission of WHO’s Health Emergencies Programme (The Programme) is to build the capacity of Borno State to manage health emergency risks and, when state capacities are overwhelmed, to lead and coordinate the international health response to contain outbreaks and to provide effective relief and recovery to affected populations.
Description of Duties
- During deployment, the duty station may change, and duties may be modified, based upon the technical needs of the Programme.
- Under the overall guidance of Incident Manager and with a view to achieve the expected results set, the incumbent will have the following responsibilities in his/her assigned area of work: WHO Health Operational Planning and Monitoring
- Support the development of WHO’s workplans and associated budgets outlining the required response activities and resources (staffing, equipment).
- Coordinate data collection and analysis to monitor progress against plans according to established key performance indicators. Regularly report on response activities across all partners.
- Monitor the implementation of WHO’s projects and grants, ensuring that implementation, expenditure and reporting are consistent with plans and projects. Analyze risks for implementation and bring them to the attention of the responsible officers.
- Facilitate monitoring of the implementation of health sector response plan and performance indicatorsAnalysis and Reporting
- Coordinate the analysis, consolidation and dissemination of information on programme management.
- Actively participate in internal and external communication activities and support resource mobilization efforts through providing overall analyses of needs and technical contributions to the development of project proposals and identifying budget needs
- Liaise with resource mobilization officer to secure rapid funding for immediate needs; with sustainable, predictable financing for programme activities.
- Contribute to the preparation of monitoring and progress reports, briefings, proposals, reports, communications and advocacy documents required for strategic decision making. Human resource
- Provide guidance on project management, promote best practices on the development of work breakdown structures, project plans, timelines, etc.
- Collaborate, with technical leads and other teams, in the development, implementation and monitoring of the technical, operational and HR work plans.
- Undertake regular planning reviews, with HQ teams and the relevant regional office when necessary, to provide periodic estimates and forecasts on response requirements based on technical needs. Health Sector Response Planning and Monitoring
- Facilitate development of a systematic collection of information pertaining to the joint operations plans, from relevant WHO offices and key operational partners, to generate a consolidated overview of needs and requirements.
- Collaborate with relevant internal WHO teams and key operational partners in the development of a strategic response framework and joint operations plan to outline the response strategies to the emergency incident.
- The incumbent will be responsible for managing and supervising the work of the Monitoring and Evaluation officer. Perform any other related incident-specific duties, as required by the functional supervisor
- Essential: First University Degree in Public Health, Business Administration, Social Science or equivalent
- Desirable: Master’s Degree in Public Health, Business Administration, Social Science or equivalent.
- Essential: Minimum of 5 years of experience in health planning, monitoring and evaluation and project management
- Desirable: Experience working in WHO, the UN and/or International Organization, Health Cluster Partners and recognized Humanitarian Organizations including at the Regional / Country level. Knowledge of WHO or other UN agencies’ governing mechanisms, procedures, planning and programme management
- Extensive experience in strategic and operational planning, including formulating logical frameworks and budgets for large public service interventions.
- Proven knowledge of project management, budgetary and financial practices and ability to develop improved systems that support these processes.
- Experience in program monitoring and evaluation
- Ability to clearly and articulately present concepts and strategies on a broad range of issues.
- Ability to perform and adapt to complex and changing political, social, and economic contexts.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in reporting on large budgets and financial resources especially with respect to large operations at country level.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing results
- Moving forward in a changing environment
Use of Language Skills
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
Remuneration comprises an annual base salary starting at NGN22,134,904 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/ Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- For information on WHO’s operations please visit: http://www.who.int
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO prides itself on a workforce that adheres to the highest ethical and professional standards and that is committed to put the WHO Values Charter into practice.
- WHO has zero tolerance towards sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA), sexual harassment and other types of abusive conduct (i.e., discrimination, abuse of authority and harassment). All members of the WHO workforce have a role to play in promoting a safe and respectful workplace and should report to WHO any actual or suspected cases of SEA, sexual harassment and other types of abusive conduct. To ensure that individuals with a substantiated history of SEA, sexual harassment or other types of abusive conduct are not hired by the Organization, WHO will conduct a background verification of final candidates.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- This is a National Professional Officer position. Therefore, only applications from nationals of the country where the duty station is located will be accepted. Applicants who are not nationals of this country will not be considered.
- Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings
Application Deadline 19th April, 2022
How to get information in your Phone or Email for further updates
- Subscribe to us with your Email address for FREE to be updated on a daily basis
- LIKE our Facebook page
- FOLLOW our Twitter News Handle
- For questions as regards to anything, kindly Comment Below